Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bite Me New England

A few years ago, there was a cute yarn shop in Alameda called, Yarn!  The owner, Janis Tester, had great taste and I loved her window display which was a giant basket of yarn with two very large straight knitting needles.  I used to drive by there alot while working and always had to resist the temptation to stop by.   One year she even joined us at our South Bay Knitters Retreat  up in the Santa Cruz mountains. Janis closed the shop and she and her husband moved to Massachusetts where she is spending alot of time   cooking and started a blog called, Bite Me New England.  It's  a funny blog about her experiences cooking in her new home state and the accompanying culture shock of someone from California searching for fresh vegetables in winter, and elusive spices and other ingredients . She also includes some nice recipes and lots of photos:

   Janis' recipe for Tater Tots:                                                                          


     A Tuna Parfait:                                                                                                            
                                                                                     
                                                    So I have heard of Potato Chip Knitting and now I am in the middle of it.  For anyone not familiar with the phrase, it's like eating potato chips; it's hard to stop and you just want to knit more of the same because it it so much fun.  I made the Quarters Cap by Kristin Nicholas because I wanted a quick knit hat for my husband that would use up some of my stash, deflect the looks I am getting from him for my Stitches haul and remind him what a valuable thing it is to have a wife that can turn out such wonderful and useful stuff.  Here is the first hat:


This was fun to do and I finished it in about 2 days.  I started thinking of other color combinations and started a second one for myself in more stash yarn:

                                                                                                                                                                        
It's knit in four quarters (thus the name) and here is the second one half way done:

                                                                                                                                                                           Similar colors to my new knitting bag!                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment