Friday, May 7, 2010

Over - the - Top Shawl

My Over - The - Top Shawl is finished and I am really pleased with the outcome. This is from  Kristin Nicholas' book, Color by Kristin, which is filled with colorful eye candy projects like this. I won a contest promoting Kristen's book and got to choose a project from the book. It was hard to decide which project to make first. WEBS, which sponsored this contest, generously sent me all the materials I needed to make this project (see my previous post on this project).  Kristin's choice of colors for this project, using her Julia  yarn, and her design made for an interesting, fun project that was never boring.

                                     
This shawl was knit in the round with steek stitches at the beginning and end of each round which were cut  and unraveled.  As the yarn is unraveled, four rows are tied in an overhand knot to prevent  further unraveling..  Very clever on Kristin's part to knit this in the round and tie the fringe, avoiding the whole sewing machine reinforcement thing.
Kristin's yarn is 50% wool, 25% alpaca and 25% mohair which makes for a very warm and cozy shawl. The mohair gives it a softer, drapey feel.  We still have plenty of snow here at Lake Tahoe and I can see I will be using this alot. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: